Dec 032013

Brian Satterlee of Greeley, Colorado was featured in a video that made its world premiere at an event on November 30, 2013 in Greeley, Colorado. The video is included below. There is an accompanying story here.

 Posted by at 9:45 pm
Jul 012013
Battle of Gettysburg

Battle of Gettysburg

Today, July 1, 2013, marks the 150th Anniversary of the beginning of the Battle of Gettysburg.  This battle involved the largest number of casualties of any battle in the Civil War and is often described as the turning-point of the War. Over 165,000 soldiers met on the field of battle.  From July 1 – 3, 1863, 8000 were killed, 27,000 were wounded, and 11,000 were listed as captured or missing.  This Battle remains important to us today as it has shaped the nature of the United States, and as Abraham Lincoln said in his remarks at the dedication of the Soldiers’ National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, better known as the Gettysburg Address:

…that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.

Among those who fought at Gettysburg were Thomas McConnell Kuhn, grandfather of Kay Kuhn Satterlee, and Solomon Ellsworth McManigle, grandfather of William James Satterlee, as they were engaged in the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2-3, 1863.  They joined many of our Satterlee ancestors who were involved in the Civil War.  As you remember and honor their sacrifice and contributions, you may wish to read Our Grandpas Civil War by William J. Satterlee. Our Grandpas Civil War is an account of the events as experienced by Thomas McConnell Kuhn and Solomon Ellsworth McManigle at the Battle of Gettysburg.

Jul 012013

by William James Satterlee. This is an account of Thomas McConnell Kuhn, grandfather of Kay Kuhn Satterlee, and Solomon Ellsworth McManigle, grandfather of William James Satterlee, as they were engaged in the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2-3, 1863

Our Grandpas at Gettysburg:

5th Corps

5th Corps

Thomas McConnell Kuhn
Company D, 62nd Regiment Infantry
Assigned: 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Corps
Battle of the Wheatfield
Gettysburg, July 2nd & 3rd, 1863

3rd Corps

3rd Corps

Solomon Ellsworth McManigle
Company B, 105th Regiment Infantry, (The Wildcat Regiment)
Assigned: 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Corps
Battle of Peach Orchard
 Gettysburg, July 2nd & 3rd, 1863

34 Star US Flag 1863

A 34 Star Union Flag would have been flown over Gettysburg at the time of the battle

By the time our grandfathers arrived at the Gettysburg Battlefield they were seasoned veterans of war. Grandpa Kuhn’s regiment had been in nine major battles while Grandpa Mcmanigle’s regiment had been in eleven. Each regiment had been in many minor skirmishes that are reported only as footnotes in their reports.
Continue reading »

Jun 272013

On the afternoon of May 20, 2013, an EF5 tornado, with peak winds estimated at 210 miles per hour (340 km/h), struck Moore, Oklahoma, and adjacent areas, killing 24 people and injuring 377 others. This was indeed a tragic situation.  Often in such tragedies, there are those who choose to serve others who were victims of the disaster.  In this case, Sean Satterlee and Proxy, a Belgian Malinois, were among the rescue workers.  Sean’s story is featured in the Kansas City Star.  See the story, which was published on May 21, 2013 at Searching through Oklahoma tornado rubble: ‘Find me babies’.

Sean Satterlee and Proxy

Sean Satterlee and Proxy search through debris in the early morning hours of May 21, 2013 in Moore Oklahoma. (photo from the Kansas City Star).


Apr 032013

Robert L. Stewart,  Seaman, First Class, United States Navy,  is listed on the Tablets of the Missing at Manila American Cemetery Manila, Philippines. Read the Tribute to Robert L. Stewart.

Robert L. Stewart Listing on the Tablets of The Missing

Robert L. Stewart Listing on the Tablets of The Missing

Manila American Cemetery and Memorial
American Battle Monuments Commission
Manila American Cemetery and Memorial
Manila American Cemetery headstones with memorial building behind.
Used for those deceased 1941–1945
Established 1948
Location 14°32′28″N 121°03′00″E / 14.541°N 121.050°E / 14.541; 121.050Coordinates: 14°32′28″N 121°03′00″E / 14.541°N 121.050°E / 14.541; 121.050
near Taguig, Metro Manila, Philippines
Designed by Gardener A. Dailey
Total burials 17,206
Unknown burials 3,744
Burials by nation
Burials by war
Statistics source: American Battle Monuments Commission
Graves in the cemetery
Aerial view of the Manila American Cemetery and Memorial
Manila American Cemetery main building
Aerial View Headstones

The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial is located in Fort Bonifacio, Metro Manila, within the boundaries of the former Fort William McKinley. It can be reached most easily from the city via Epifano de los Santos Ave. (EDSA) to McKinley Road, then to McKinley Parkway inside the Bonifacio Global City. The Nichols Field Road is the easiest access from Manila International Airport to the cemetery.[1]

The cemetery, 152 acres (62 ha) or 615,000 square metres in area, is located on a prominent plateau, visible at a distance from the east, south and west.[1] With a total of 17,206 graves, it has the largest number of graves of any cemetery for U.S. personnel killed during World War II and holds war dead from the Philippines and other allied nations.[1] Many of the personnel whose remains are interred or represented were killed in New Guinea, or during the Battle of the Philippines (1941–42) or the Allied recapture of the islands.[1] The headstones are made of marble which are aligned in eleven plots forming a generally circular pattern, set among a wide variety of tropical trees and shrubbery.[1] The Memorial is maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission.

The cemetery is open daily to the public from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except December 25 and January 1.[1]

Otherwise, this cemetery has only one Commonwealth War Dead burial in World War I.[2]

General layout

The entrance to the cemetery is at the far (east) side of the large grassed circle just beyond the military sentinel's post which is at the junction of Rizal Drive and Eighth Avenue . Immediately beyond the gate is the plaza with its circular fountain; at the right is the Visitors' Building. Stretching from the plaza to the memorial is the central mall, which is lined with mahogany trees (Swietenia macrophylla). Circular roads leading eastward and westward through the graves area join the straight roads along the edges of the mall.

The memorial

Twenty-five large mosaic maps in four rooms recall the actions of the United States Armed Forces in the Pacific, China, India and Burma.[1] Carved in the floors are the seals of the American states and its territories.[1]

Notable burials and memorials

Twenty-three Medal of Honor recipients are buried or memorialized at the Manila cemetery. Also honored are the five Sullivan Brothers, who perished when the light cruiser USS Juneau (CL-52) was sunk in June 1942. A. Peter Dewey (1916–1945), an OSS officer killed in Saigon shortly after World War II ended, is listed on the Tablets of the Missing.[3] The Camp O'Donnell Memorial is dedicated to the memory of the "Battling Bastards of Bataan".[4]

Medal of Honor recipients

Other notable people

  • Hilan Ebert (1903–1942), Navy Cross for action aboard the USS Northampton in the Battle of Guadalcanal



External links

Mar 202013
Satterlee Memorial in the National Cathedral

Satterlee Memorial in the National Cathedral

View of Bishop Satterlee’s Memorial in Washington Cathedral sculpted by Nathaniel Hitch.

Hitch completed this work for the architect Caröe in Washington Cathedral. The Memorial to Bishop Henry Yates Satterlee was unveiled in 1920.

Satterlee’s life-sized figure lies recumbent and attired in his Episcopal robes. The angels symbolize the Lambeth Quadrilateral of which Satterlee was one of the leading exponents. Around the figure and at the top of the base are inscribed important dates in his life, and the words “Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Hosts; Heaven and Earth are full of Thy Glory, Glory be to Thee, O Lord Most High” words which Satterlee spoke just before his death.

On the base is carved an inscription to his wife Jane Lawrence Satterlee, who lies buried beside him.

Dec 122012

Report of Col. Calvin A. Craig,
One hundred and fifth Pennsylvania Infantry.
July 11, 1863.

LIEUTENANT: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by this regiment in the battle of Gettysburg, Pa., from July 1 to 4, inclusive:

On the afternoon of the 1st instant, the regiment moved with the rest of the brigade at 1.15 p. in., with 20 officers and 257 men, from a point about 1 mile east of Emmitsburg, Md., where we had encamped the night previous, and marched to a point about half a mile west of the town and near the Hagerstown road, where we received orders to encamp.

At 4 p. m. the order was countermanded, and we took up the line of march in the direction of Gettysburg, Pa. The march was a very severe one and fatigued the men very much, but the regiment stood the march well, and when the brigade bivouacked for the night 1 mile south of Gettysburg, we had only 3 men who had fallen out of the ranks on the march. These rejoined us during the night. On the morning of the 2d, we moved with the balance of the brigade a short distance, when line of battle was formed about half a mile east of and parallel with the Emmitsburg road, in which position we remained until 11.15 a. in., when we received orders to move to the front to support the Sixty-third Pennsylvania Volunteers, who were deployed as skirmishers along the Emmitsburg road. My regiment took position immediately in their rear, with Companies A, F, D, I, and C deployed, the other companies in reserve. The fire from the enemy’s sharpshooters was severe. One man was killed very soon after we got into position.

At 1 p. m. orders were received from General Graham to rejoin the brigade, and to take position in rear of the Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and on the right of the One hundred and fourteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers, in column doubled on the center.

The regiment remained in this position until 2 p. m. We then moved forward with the brigade to a point near the brick house on the Emmitsburg road, where we halted and deployed, still maintaining our relative positions, my right resting on a by-road running at right angles with the Emmitsburg road. At this time the enemy opened with his artillery a very destructive fire. My regiment suffered a loss of some 12 men while in this position.

At 4 p. m. we again moved forward near the brick house and immediately in its rear. At this time I noticed the enemy’s infantry advancing from the woods on the left of the house and in its rear, and seeing that I could do nothing in the position I then occupied (in the rear of the Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers), and that I must necessarily suffer severely, I ordered the regiment forward to fill a vacancy on the right of the Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the front line and a little beyond the Emmitsburg road.

Having gained this position, the fire from the enemy being very severe, we immediately opened fire.

After occupying this position for a short time, I noticed the regiments on my immediate left (One hundred and fourteenth and Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers) cluster in groups behind the brick house and adjacent out-buildings. A few moments later the One hundred and fourteenth fell to the rear, and the Fifty-seventh very soon followed, leaving my left flank entirely unprotected. The enemy, taking advantage of this, advanced across the Emmitsburg road, in front of the house, and immediately opened fire upon our left flank. Seeing this, I ordered my regiment to retire slowly a short distance, and changed front to the rear on the first company. A small remnant of the Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers rallied with us, and formed line along the by-road before mentioned, where we again opened fire, and checked the advancing rebels for a few minutes; but the regiment being so small and both flanks being entirely unprotected, I ordered the regiment to retire slowly, and formed line again a short distance to the rear. The troops in our rear by this time were beginning to be effective, and the brigade having gone to the rear, I formed with these troops, and fought with them, sometimes advancing and sometimes retreating, but do not know whose troops they were.

Soon after, I saw General Humphreys, and formed line with some of his troops. From this point we advanced steadily until we had regained nearly all the ground we had lost. Noticing at this time three pieces of artillery that had been abandoned by our artillerists and turned upon us by the advancing rebels (and who were in turn compelled to abandon them), I sent forward my few remaining men to bring them off the field, but being unable to bring them all off, I got assistance from some men of the Excelsior Brigade with two of the pieces, and brought the third off the field with my own men. I withdrew all my men with this piece, and finally delivered it to Sergt. Daniel A. Whitesell, Battery C, Fifth U. S. Artillery, who identified it as one of the pieces belonging to that battery.

About this time, Captain [Timothy L.] Maynard, of General Graham’s staff, came up. I reported to him for orders from General Graham, and was informed that the corps was forming at a certain point. I moved the regiment, but could, not find the brigade (it was now quite dark), but formed on the right of the Third Brigade.

Soon after, I moved under the direction of Lieutenants Benson and [George W.] Perkins, of General Graham’s staff, and joined the brigade, and bivouacked for the night.

The next morning, July 3, we again moved forward with the brigade, and occupied a position in the third line of battle and in the rear of the Fifth Corps, where we remained until about 2p.m. when we were again ordered with the brigade to the center, our forces there having been attacked, and formed line of battle in the rear of the batteries at that point. We remained in this position until 9 p.m., when the regiment with the brigade moved to the front and formed line of battle on the first line, relieving the Vermont Brigade, of the First Corps. We remained in this position during the night. In the morning, the line was withdrawn and the troops occupying it marched a short distance to the rear. The entire rebel front line had also retired. Several unimportant movements took place during the day, but nothing worthy of note.

The entire killed in the regiment during this time was 1 officer killed, 13 officers wounded, 7 enlisted men killed, 101 enlisted men wounded, and 9 enlisted men missing, making a total of 131 men. *

The regiment never fought better or with more enthusiasm. The list of casualties proves with what determination they contested every inch of ground. Fourteen officers out of 17 combatants were either killed or wounded, and 117 men out of 257 were either killed, wounded, or missing, being nearly one-half of the entire number taken into action. No instance of cowardice occurred during the engagements. All seemed to feel that they were fighting on the soil of their native State, and that they would either conquer or yield up their lives in her defense.

I cannot make particular mention of individual bravery. All, both officers and men, seemed imbued with the same spirit, which was one of determination never to yield, but to fight to the bitter end, and until there was not a single rebel in arms to pollute the soil of their native State.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Colonel One hundred and fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers.

A. A. A. G., First Brigade, First Division, Third Corps.

Dec 122012

Reports of Col. Jacob B. Sweitzer,
Sixty-second Pennsylvania Infantry, commanding Second Brigade
O.R.–SERIES I–VOLUME XXVII/1 [S# 43] — Gettysburg Campaign

Camp near Warrenton, Va., July 31, 1863.
Brig. Gen. CHARLES GRIFFIN, Comdg. Division.

GENERAL: In obedience to orders, I respectfully submit the following report of the operations of this brigade during the recent battle of Gettysburg:

After a hard march on the day previous, July 1, from Unionville, Md., by way of Hanover, the brigade bivouacked after 12 p.m., with the division in the woods by the roadside, 4 or 5 miles distant from the battle-field.

Next morning by daylight we were on the march again, the Second Brigade leading. Having arrived near what I supposed to be the right of our line, and near a farm-house and barn, the division was massed, the brigades occupying positions in the order of their numbers from right to left, General Sykes’ division being on our left. Here a call was made for a regiment from this brigade for picket duty by General Barnes, and Colonel Guiney, with the Ninth Massachusetts, was directed to report to him for instructions, and did so.

Shortly after this, the division changed front to the left, at nearly a right angle with its former position, and formed in line of battalions in close column by division.

We had been in this position but a few moments before we were again moved a considerable distance to the left; then moved by the front across the creek, and massed in an orchard on the hill above the bridge on the Gettysburg turnpike. There we remained until late in the afternoon (the precise time I do not remember), and the command had a few hours quiet and rest.

Meanwhile there had been very little firing along the line, and I came to the conclusion the day would pass without the division being called into action. But soon after cannonading was heard on the left, and we were moved quite a distance farther to the left, and diagonally to the front, skirting in our march the woods in rear of or in which our lines were formed. When we moved off from the orchard, the Third Brigade, being on the left of the division, moved first, the Second and First Brigades following in the inverted order.

The Second Brigade was placed in position in a wood fronting an open field, the woods bordering two sides of the field, the side in which we were and also that extending at right angles from our left toward the enemy, and in the last-mentioned wood the First Brigade was posted, connecting with our left. Having formed the three regiments of this brigade in line of battle (the Ninth Massachusetts being still absent on picket duty) in their regular order from right to left, and finding this formation threw the Thirty-second Massachusetts, which was on the left, into an exposed position beyond the woods in low, cleared ground, I directed Colonel Prescott to change his front to the rear, so as to give him the benefit of the elevated ground and the cover of the woods, which movement he executed.

We had not remained long in this position before an attack commenced by the enemy in front of the First Brigade and Thirty-second Massachusetts. As there was no appearance of the enemy in front of the line formed by the Sixty-second Pennsylvania and Fourth Michigan, I directed them to change front to the left, and form lines in rear of the Thirty-second Massachusetts, to strengthen that position. During the execution of this order, the attack continued; the firing was very severe, and we lost many brave officers and men. Here fell Major Lowry, second to none in all the attributes of a soldier and a gentleman.

When the attack commenced, word was sent by General Barnes that when we retired we should fall back under cover of the woods. This order was communicated to Colonel Prescott, whose regiment was then under the hottest fire. Understanding it to be a peremptory order to retire then, he replied, “I don’t want to retire; I am not ready to retire; I can hold this place,” and he made good his assertion. Being informed that he misunderstood the order, which was only intended to inform him how to retire when it became necessary, he was satisfied, and he and his command held their ground manfully.

Some time after that, word was sent that the First Brigade was retiring, and General Barnes sent me word to fall back also, which I did in perfect good order, the regiments retaining their alignments and halting and firing as they came back. Having arrived at the road leading along the rear of the wheat-field, the brigade was formed in line in the woods in rear of the road and parallel to it, the right resting at the corner of the woods toward the front. We had not remained here more than, say, fifteen minutes, when a general officer I had never seen before rode up to me, and said his command was driving the enemy in the woods in front of the wheat-field; that he needed the support of a brigade, and desired to know if I would give him mine.

I referred him to General Barnes, and said I would obey his directions with pleasure. He spoke to the general, who was not far off. General Barnes came and stated to me what had been said to him by General Caldwell (this I learned was the officer who had lately spoken to me), and asked me if I would take the brigade in. I told him I would if he wished me to do so. He said he did. The command was then called to attention. General Barnes got out in front of them, and made a few patriotic remarks, to which they responded with a cheer, and we started off across the wheat-field in a line parallel to the road, our right flank resting on the woods. We advanced to the stone fence beyond the wheat-field next to the woods, and took position behind it to support, as we supposed, our friends in the woods in front. The Fourth Michigan, being on the right of the brigade, extended beyond the stone fence, and was, consequently, most exposed.

We had scarcely got to this position before I noticed regiments retiring from the woods on our right, which I supposed were relieved by others who had taken their places, and would protect us in that direction. I observed also that there was considerable firing diagonally toward our rear from these woods, which I then thought were shots from our troops aimed over us at the enemy in the woods beyond and falling short. They were, however, much too frequent to be pleasant, and my color-bearer, Ed. Martin, remarked, “Colonel, I’ll be — if I don’t think we are faced the wrong way; the rebs are up there in the woods behind us, on the right.”

About this time, too, word was brought me from the Fourth Michigan and Sixty-second Pennsylvania that the enemy were getting into our rear in the woods on the right. I directed those regiments to change front, to face in that direction and meet them, which they did, the firing in the meanwhile being rapid and severe. I at the same time dispatched Lieutenant Seitz, aide-de-camp, to communicate to General Barnes our situation. He reached the point where he had last seen General Barnes. He was not there. Lieutenant Seitz found the enemy had reached that point, and he came near falling into their hands himself; his horse was killed, and he made his way back to me on foot; reported that General Barnes was not to be found; that the enemy was in the woods on our right as far back as where we had started from, and along the road in rear of the wheat-field.

Finding that we were surrounded–that our enemy was under cover, while we were in the open field exposed to their fire–I directed the command to fall back. This was done in order, the command halting and firing as it retired. The Fourth Michigan and Sixty-second Pennsylvania had become mixed up with the enemy, and many hand-to-hand conflicts occurred. Colonel Jeffords, the gallant commander of the Fourth Michigan, was thrust through with a bayonet in a contest over his colors, and Sergt. William McFairman, Company I, and Private William McCarter, Company A, Sixty-second Pennsylvania, receive honorable mention by Colonel Hull in his report for their conduct during this part of the engagement.

Finding, as we retired in the direction from which we advanced, that the fire of the enemy grew more severe on our right, I took a diagonal direction toward the corner of the wheat-field on our left and rear. We crossed the stone fence on this side of the field, and retired to the rear of the battery on the elevation beyond, where the command was halted.

We had lost heavily in our passage across the field. The Fourth Michigan and Sixty-second Pennsylvania had been surrounded, and a large proportion of those regiments were missing, either killed, wounded, or prisoners. What remained of the command formed in the rear of the battery, and we were shortly afterward joined by the Ninth Massachusetts, which had been absent all day on detached duty.

It is difficult to conceive of a more trying situation than that in which three regiments of this command had lately found themselves, and from which they had just effected their escape; in fact, I have since understood that one of General Barnes’ aides remarked to him shortly after we had advanced, when it was discovered the enemy was behind us on the flank, that he might bid good-bye to the Second Brigade. I was also informed by General Barnes that, learning soon after we had advanced the situation on our right, he had dispatched an orderly to me with the information and a verbal order to withdraw, but the orderly never reached me.

Every officer and man in the command, so far as I am informed, did his whole duty. All stood their ground and fought unflinchingly until they were ordered by me to retire, and in falling back behaved with coolness and deliberation. We lost many of our best officers and men.

I subjoin a field report of the regiments engaged on the morning of July 2, and also a report of the same regiments on July 4. A nominal and tabular report of casualties in the command has already been forwarded.

About dark on the evening of the 2d, the acting assistant adjutant-general of the First Brigade came to me and inquired for General Barnes; said he was directed by General Sykes to tell him to have the Second Brigade form on the right of the First in the position they then were. As General Barnes was not present, I received the order, and put the Second Brigade in the position indicated, where we remained until the evening of the 5th, when the division advanced toward Emmitsburg.

In conclusion, I desire to express my gratification at the conduct of my staff during the engagement–Captain [George] Monteith, acting assistant adjutant-general; Captain [Alvan C.] Lamson, acting assistant inspector-general; Captain [John S.] Burdett, acting commissary of subsistence, and Lieutenant [John A.M.] Seitz, acting aide-de-camp. They were prompt and fearless in the discharge of their duty. We were all fortunate enough to escape being hit, though a number of horses in the party were shot–two of the orderlies, the bugler’s, Lieutenant Seitz’s, and my own.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Colonel, Commanding Brigade.

(Losses were 427 in killed, wounded and missing in a total of about 1,000).

Dec 102012

by William James Satterlee

My first interest in the Civil War was sparked by my grandfather as we worked together on his farm about 150 miles northwest of Gettysburg.  He related how his father, about fourteen at the time, was working in a deep ditch on July 2 and 3, 1863.  He became aware that as he rested his head against the rocks in the side of the ditch he could hear a strange intermittent rumbling sound.  This continued the afternoon and evening of the 2nd, and was considerably louder and constant on the afternoon of the 3rd to the point that he need not place his head against the side of the ditch to hear the rumblings.  Some of the neighbors reported that as they raked wheat stalks and then knelt to tie the bundle resting the rake handle upon their head, that they too had heard this strange rumbling that resembled cannon fire through the wooden rake handle.  Being in the wilds of Jefferson County, it took about five days for the news to reach them that a great battle had been fought at Gettysburg, far away from them.

I always wondered if this story could possibly be true.  As I have studied the Battle of Gettysburg, I have found many accounts given by educated, upstanding citizens that indeed verify this phenomenon.  A group of people having a late supper at the hotel of a Mr. Hay, at the eastern base of Chestnut Ridge in Ligonier Valley, Westmoreland County, could hear the cannonading clearly.  Some reported that as they resumed their journey to Somerset, the sound became even more clear.  A straight line distance to the hotel of Mr Hay from Gettysburg was about 140 miles.

Hundreds of people along the south-eastern border of Westmoreland County reported hearing the battle sounds very distinctly.  This came as no surprise to some of them since they had heard the sounds of the battle of Manassas throughout the same locality.

The mystery is that these folks heard the battle so distinctly, while few people in Chambersburg and Greencastle, only a few miles from the battle, heard any of the battle sounds at all.

Dec 102012
  • Organized at Pittsburg as 33rd Regiment August 31, 1861.
  • Left State for Washington, D.C., August 31, 1861.
  • Designation changed to 62nd Pennsylvania Volunteers November 18, 1861.
  • Attached to Morrell’s Brigade, Fitz John Porter’s Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862.
  • 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to May, 1862.
  • 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Army Corps, to July, 1864.
    Service & Battles – 1861
  • Camp near Fort Corcoran, Defences of Washington, D.C., till October, 1861,
  • And near Fall’s Church, Va., till March, 1862.
  • Moved to the Peninsula March 22-24.
  • Reconnoissance to Big Bethel March 30. Howard’s Mills, near Cockletown, April 4.
  • Warwick Road April 5.
  • Siege of Yorktown April 5-May 4. Hanover Court House May 27.
  • Operations about Hanover Court House May 27-29.
  • Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
  • Battles of Mechanicsville June 26; Gaines Mill June 27; Savage Station June 29;
  • Turkey Bridge or Malvern Cliff June 30;
  • Malvern Hill July 1.
  • At Harrison’s Landing till August 16.
  • Movement to Fortress Monroe, thence to Centreville August 16-28.
  • Battle of Bull Run August 30.
  • Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
  • Shepherdstown Ford September 19.
  • Blackford’s Ford September 19.
  • Reconnoissance to Smithfield October 16-17.
  • Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
  • Expedition to Richard’s and Ellis’ Fords, Rappahannock River, December 30-31.
    Service & Battles – 1863
  • Burnside’s second Campaign, “Mud March,” January 20-24, 1863.
  • At Falmouth till April.
  • Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
  • Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
  • Middleburg June 19.
  • Uppervile June 21.
  • Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3.
  • Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
  • Duty on line of the Rappahannock till October.
  • Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
  • Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
  • Rappahannock Station November 7.
  • Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
    Service & Battles – 1864
  • Duty at Bealeton Station till May, 1864.
  • Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
  • Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
  • Laurel Hill May 8;
  • Spottsylvania May 8-12;
  • Spottsylvania C, H. May 12-21.
  • Assault on the Salient May 12.
  • North Anna River May 23-26.
  • Jericho Ford May 25.
  • Line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
  • Totopotomoy May 28-31.
  • Cold Harbor June 1-12.
  • Bethesda Church June 1-3.
  • Before Petersburg June 16-18.
  • Siege of Petersburg till July 3.
  • Left front July 3.
  • Mustered out July 13, 1864.
  • Companies “L” and “M” transferred to 91st PA Regiment.
  • Mustered out August 15, 1864.
  • Veterans and Recruits transferred to 155th PA Regiment.
    Regimental Losses
  • Regiment lost during service 17 Officers and 152 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 89 Enlisted men by disease. Total 258.